A healthy lifestyle depicts both your physical and mental health. The two are closely linked and for you to be healthy, both must be functioning in harmony. Any change in one, whether good or bad will directly affect the other. Living a healthy lifestyle might sound like a complicated task but it’s not. The following tips will help you improve every aspect of your life that promote a healthy lifestyle.
Maintaining physical fitness plays a major role in improving your overall lifestyle. You need to keep your body active as living a sedentary lifestyle can result in lack of endurance, overall body weakness, obesity, and other undesirable effects. Regular physical exercises have the following benefits:
- Prevents muscle decrement in the elderly and improves strength, endurance, flexibility, and balance and reduces cases of falling. Regular exercising is also known to prevent fatal diseases such as the coronary heart disease, stroke, obesity, and high blood pressure. While exercising, be sure to include weight-bearing activities as they help in building bone strength hence preventing osteoporosis.
- Helps minimize the effect of chronic arthritis giving the patient the ability to perform daily activities such as climbing stairs, driving, and other activities that require the use of hands.
- It helps control weight gain and fat loss and hence improve a person’s self-esteem and confidence.
- Exercising also helps in reducing stress and anxiety, improves your moods, and general mental wellbeing.
You don’t have to “kill” yourself with exercising but you can instead break it into 10 minutes sessions. When starting, you need to be gradual and increase as you progress. The best thing about keeping fit is that you are never too old to exercise.
This goes without saying, we all need to eat for growth and maintenance of a healthy body. However, requirements differ depending on different stages of life which include infants, kids, teens, young adults, adults, and seniors. The most important thing, however, is ensuring intake of the right amount of calories at every stage so that the amount of energy consumed is equivalent to the energy released. Failing to balance calories can result in obesity or weight loss. Follow these tips for a healthy diet;
- Take three meals per day, breakfast, lunch, and supper. However, dinner has to be light unlike the other two.
- Take more of fruits, whole grains, veggies, and low-fat milk products and cut off junk, sodas, and sugar-enhanced drinks.
- Ensure your kids don’t take sugary snacks as it can develop to a lifelong habit.
- Take light meals on hot days.
- If a vegetarian, be sure to talk to your physician to ensure you are consuming the right amount of vitamins and minerals.
- Cook food over 165 F to destroy harmful bacteria and pathogens. Ensure you clean fruits and vegetables with running tap water fit for drinking just before eating.
A healthy lifestyle involves more than physical fitness and a healthy diet, it also includes mental and emotional wellness. You can improve your mental wellness by;
- Ensuring you get enough sleep on daily basis.
- Avoid staying locked up in the house all day but instead take a walk at least thrice a week and reflect on what you see and hear.
- Perform mental exercises such as doing puzzles or reading a book.
- Try something new regularly such as eating something you have never eaten before or cooking a new recipe.